Shirakawa Komine Castle
-This famous castle has been a witness to many dramatic events
Shirakawa Komine Castle has a reputation of being a great castle in the Oshu checkpoint. It was started in 1340, when General "Chikatomo Yuki" began to build the castle on the Kominegaoka hill.
In 1632, "Nagashige Niwa", the first division chief in the Edo period, spent four years to complete the castle in the Teikaku-style. Seven families have lived in the castle, including "Sadanobu Matsudaira", who owned the castle when the frame was destroyed in 1868, during the Boshin War.
After the renovation of the "Sanju Yagura (three stories tower)" in 1991, and the "Maegomon (front gate)" in 1993, thc castle was restored to its original look and stands today as a symbol of Shirakawa.
Otome-sakura Cherry Blossom
Next to the Sanju Yagura, a cherry tree was planted for the memorial of a girl who lost her life during the Shirakawa Komine Castle's renovation. The cherry tree was burned down during Boshin War, but has been replaced by the "Otome-sakura (Maiden cherry)" tree and blooms every spring to add color to the castle's surroundings.
Shirakawa Shuko-en gallery
This gallery is located on the side of Shirakawa Komine Castle. Exhibits such as historical manuscripts, treasures from Yuki family, the Lord of this area in middle ages, and from the Abe family, a division chief in late Edo period.